Reaction is looking for an awesome individual who is passionate about digital design to craft awesome online experiences for our company and our clients. A Web Designer at Reaction works collaboratively with content, strategy, and development team members to help bring the collective vision of our projects to life.
If you’re a (borderline OCD) perfectionist who posts angled mockups of your designs instead of screenshots and has chosen to go to a different restaurant because their website was just that bad… You may be the right fit.
As our Web Designer, you’ll play a key role in defining how the digital projects we produce will look, feel, and function. You’ll contribute a visual sensibility that ensures every project supports our belief that design is a means for driving marketing and business success.
This is a hands-on role that requires experience in design for web and mobile, and a hunger to stay on top of the latest tools, trends, and techniques. You’ll be responsible for expressing and communicating your design vision to the development team to ensure your vision for a website or digital project becomes beautiful and engaging reality.
Ultimately, you’ll be designing everything from wireframe and UX prototypes, to web style guides and production ready front end mockups. If you have skills in front end development, or want to gain them, you’ll have an opportunity to get involved in that as well.
Duties & Responsibilities
- Craft elegant user experiences with thoughtfully, researched, and beautiful website designs
- Create storyboards, user / process flows, sitemaps, wireframes, and UX prototypes to communicate interaction and design ideas
- Produce design mockups using programs like Sketch, Adobe XD, Photoshop, or Illustrator
- Create style guides, prototypes, and contribute to pattern libraries
- Advise and guide developers in implementing your vision
- Stay on top of design trends, tools, and best practices
- Present your work and defend key design decisions to your peers and our clients
- Iterate designs based on feedback from your peers and our clients
The person we are looking for will have…
- A diploma or degree in visual design, new media, or equivalent
- 3+ years of experience in an equivalent role, preferably in an agency environment
- Ability to clearly understand and articulate design requirements
- Excellent visual and verbal communication skills
- A portfolio that showcases great design, UI, and UX work
- A passion for new web technologies, techniques, and trends
- Creativity, originality, and an eye for detail
- Knowledge and practical experience designing responsive websites for devices of all shapes and sizes
- An understanding of the entire web development process
- Knowledge of SEO principles and current best practices
- An ability to perform well in a fast-paced environment
- Ability to solve problems creatively and effectively
- Up-to-date with the latest web trends, techniques, and technologies
Bonus points if you have…
- Experience with WordPress, Joomla, Magento, or other open source CMSs
- Experience working in a team environment and balancing multiple projects
- BS/MS in Human-Computer Interaction, Interaction Design or a Visual Arts subject
We’re looking for somebody who is just as excited about the endless potential of the web as they are to share their knowledge and see others succeed… But we’re only looking for truly awesome people to join our team, so your personality is just as important to us as your experience and qualifications.
Awesome people don’t just know their shit… they also have a great attitude, believe in ideas over egos, and won’t settle for good enough. They are looking to be part of a team where they can truly make a positive impact through the work they do, while being challenged to grow and become a better version of themselves.
We know that awesome people can get a job anywhere and they take the time to research the companies they’re considering working for. They go the extra mile in searching for the right position because they’re looking for more than a job… hell they’re looking for more than a career… they’re looking for a place to find solace with like-minded, hard working, talented, and equally awesome individuals.
Apply if you…
- Love design
- Have a passion for solving problems with design thinking
- Want to work on projects that will be seen and used by millions of people
- Value working in a truly collaborative, team environment
- Are opinionated and have high standards about what makes a great experience on the web
- Care about crafting amazing websites and applications
- Enjoy a challenge and are eager to contribute to the success of a growing company
- Thrive in an environment with the responsibility and freedom to do the best work you can
This is a full-time position working from our office in downtown Red Deer, Alberta.
This position has a salary range of $45,000 – $60,000 per year based on experience and qualifications, plus a number of additional benefits.
How To Apply
Please fill out the form below, attach your resume, cover letter, and include a link to your portfolio. Make sure to tell us what makes you the right fit for Reaction.
If selected, you’ll be invited to take part in an over-the-phone culture interview where we’ll get to know you a bit better and see if you’re a good fit for our team. Next, we’ll hold in-person interviews where we’ll dive deep into your skills, abilities, previous experience, and past work.
This position will be open until we find the right person; however, we plan to hold our first round of interviews in early April, 2017.
Working at Reaction
Work hard. Have fun. Be awesome.
We are team of passionate designers, developers writers, strategists, thinkers and doers who have found solace in a place that bring together those with shared culture, values and purpose.
We have a casual atmosphere and always try to keep things fun – but we’re also really serious about what we do and work hard to make sure we are super proud of every project we put our name on.
That’s us in a nutshell. Work hard. Have fun. Be awesome.
- Competitive salary based on your experience and performance
- Extended Health & Dental Benefits
- Your choice of a Mac or PC workstation
- Flexible work schedule
- Cutting edge technology and tools
- Access to a ProDev fund to keep your skills sharp
- Awesome co-workers
- Collaborative, team driven environment
- Casual, creative atmosphere
- Regular company funded social events
- Unlimited coffee and a fully stocked beverage fridge