Reaction is looking for an experienced individual who is passionate about web development to lead our five-person web team. The Technical Director gives direction and support to the team on all technical projects, as well as provide guidance on everything from timeline and budget estimates to the way products are structured and delivered.
If you’re excited by the idea of leading a group of ragtag programmers into the heart of the Bolivian jungle that is web development, you might just be the right fit!
As our Technical Director, you will plan and implement technology solutions for notable clients across a broad range of industries and markets. You will be a leader and mentor in a team-oriented environment, ensuring that our culture is upbeat, our employees are challenged, and our work (and our approach to work) continues to evolve.
Duties & Responsibilities
- Manage and lead the web development team at Reaction while maintaining a collaborative, upbeat, and challenging work engagement
- Ensure the team is successfully executing projects within scope, timeline, and budget
- Further develop the team’s skills through coaching, motivating, and training
- Conduct, coordinate, and oversee the code review and QA processes
- Ensure best practices are followed and provide guidance or assistance when necessary
- Help drive process improvement in the web development life cycle, creating efficiencies in execution
- Constantly evaluate emerging technologies to identify opportunities, trends, and best practices that can be used to strengthen Reaction’s development process
- Assist with managing the dev team’s schedule and priorities
- Act as a communications liaison (and sometimes a translator) between the dev team, project managers, and project stakeholders
- Work directly with our clients on technology strategy and recommend solutions to fulfill business requirements
- Participate in new business efforts by adding technical expertise in ideation, explanation, and budget development
The person we are looking for will have…
- More than 5 years of experience as a developer
- 3+ years of LAMP/LEMP web development experience
- 1+ years’ experience leading a team
- Solid understanding of platforms like WordPress, Joomla!, Magento, and Laravel
- Extensive knowledge of Git and version control
- The ability to manage multiple priorities at once and shift priorities seamlessly, as well as to communicate and manage the priorities of others
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills
- Strong communication skills (oral and written)
- Excellent organizational and leadership skills
- Outstanding interpersonal abilities
- Interest in playing with new languages and frameworks, solving complex web-based challenges, and communicating strategic solutions to our clients
- The ability to evaluate our development process, looking for a better, more efficient way to get things done
Bonus Points if you have
- Experience with Amazon Web Services
- Experience with application development (iPhone, Android, web based, or hybrid apps)
- A BSc/BA in computer science, engineering, or relevant field
We’re looking for somebody who is just as excited about the endless potential of the web as they are to share their knowledge and see others succeed. But we’re only looking for truly awesome people to our join team, so your personality is just as important to us as your experience and qualifications.
Awesome people don’t just know their shit… they also have a great attitude, believe in ideas over egos, and won’t settle for good enough. They are looking to be part of a team where they can truly make a positive impact through the work they do, while being challenged to grow and become a better version of themselves.
We know that awesome people can get a job anywhere and they take the time to research the companies they’re considering working for. They go the extra mile in searching for the right position because they’re looking for more than a job… hell they’re looking for more than a career… they’re looking for a place to find solace with like-minded, hard working, talented, and equally awesome individuals.
Apply if you
- Love inspiring people to do great things
- Have a passion for process and documentation
- Want to work in a collaborative, team environment
- Are opinionated and have high standards about what makes a great experience on the web
- Care about writing clean and efficient code
- Enjoy a challenge and are eager to contribute to the success of a growing company
This is a full time position working from our office in Downtown Red Deer, Alberta.
This position has a salary range of $60,000 – $80,000 per year based on experience and qualifications, plus a number of additional benefits.
How To Apply
Please fill out the form below, attach your resume, cover letter, and include a link to your portfolio. Make sure to tell us what makes you the right fit for Reaction.
This position will be open until we find the right person; however, we plan to hold our first round of interviews in early April, 2017.
Working at Reaction
Work hard. Have fun. Be awesome.
We are team of passionate designers, developers writers, strategists, thinkers and doers who have found solace in a place that bring together those with shared culture, values and purpose.
We have a casual atmosphere and always try to keep things fun – but we’re also really serious about what we do and work hard to make sure we are super proud of every project we put our name on.
That’s us in a nutshell. Work hard. Have fun. Be awesome.
- Competitive salary based on your experience and performance
- Extended Health & Dental Benefits
- Your choice of a Mac or PC workstation
- Flexible work schedule
- Cutting edge technology and tools
- Access to a ProDev fund to keep your skills sharp
- Awesome co-workers
- Collaborative, team driven environment
- Casual, creative atmosphere
- Regular company funded social events
- Unlimited coffee and a fully stocked beverage fridge